Brief Report of the ICSMEs-17
An international conference on “SMEs, A Source of Socio-Economic Development: Prospects and Challenges” on November 22 & 23, 2017 was held at the Management Science Department, Bahria University, Karachi Campus in collaboration with Valparaiso University, USA, University of Karachi, Employers’ Federation of Pakistan (EFP) and Small and Medium Enterprises Development Authority (SMEDA), Sindh. The conference was followed by International HRM conference in collaboration with EFP and ILO. Practically, the conference spread over four days with pre-conference, conference and post conference activities.
The proposed conference served the purpose of a forum for the researchers and business practitioners where they discussed the researched based information on the prospects and challenges associated with the SMEs’ operations in Pakistan and in other countries of the world. More specifically, this conference was designed to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide an international forum to students and academia for showcasing their research works and case studies pertaining to the topic related to the entrepreneurship development in general and SMEs in particular.
- To network with foreign local and international academia and industry.
- To provide an opportunity to the participants of the conference in particular to interact with the experts of national and international reputes for broadening their academic horizons.
- To strengthen Bahria University’s international outlook for being part of international academic community seeking and providing solutions in global perspectives.
Mr. Muneer Kamal, Chairman Stock Exchange was the chief guest of the inaugral ceremony on November 22, 2017 while Mr. Sirajuddin Aziz, President Habib Metropolitan Bank was the chief guest in the closing cermony on November 23, 2017. Vice Admiral Tanveer Faiz HI (M) (Retired), Rector Bahria University welcomed the delegates and Prof. Dr. Farooq-e-Azam Cheema presented vote of thanks to the speakers and participants of the conference. Conference was chaired by Prof. Dr. Mustaghis-ur-Rahman.
Total 45 papers were presented in thirteen sessions (including two thematic symposium) in two-day conference. 450 delegates attended the conference from all over Pakistan and abroad. Following foreign researchers and scholars enlightened the delegates by delivering keynote speeches and presented their papers:
- Prof. Dr. Roger R. Stough, Associate Dean, Schar School of Policy & Government, George Mason University, USA,
- Dr. David Faulkner, Director iQualify, UK, Erik Froelich, Valparaiso University, USA,
- Dr. Patricia A. Omidian, Corvallis, USA,
- Dr. David Rowland, Professor of Psychology, Valparaiso University, USA
- Erik Froelich, Valparaiso University, USA.