The Media Studies Department at Bahria University focuses on media literacy through liberal arts. We teach students not just how to use the media, but also about their meaning and importance so that they can employ them more effectively. In fulfilling the requirements of the degree, students will become a more discerning and active user of the media—able to understand and employ them as powerful tools that can change society for the better.
Students are encouraged to develop a sense of communication history and are provided with the means of mastering the language of our mass media. They are challenged to develop a critical view, with an emphasis on ethical judgments about the most current media issues. Academic and theoretical classes are supplemented with skills-oriented coursework, applied internships, and research activities, as well as TV studio, field video, audio and new media production classes.
Extracurricular work also enhances the academic training. Students are encouraged to pursue specific interests in television and film studies, radio and television production, print and radio and television journalism, photography, advertising and public relations, popular culture studies, and new media.
The department focuses on the forms, institutions, and effects of media with particular emphasis on the mass media of the modern and contemporary period. It emphasizes digital media through approaches to its history, theory, and technology and their impact upon contemporary life.
Our aim is to prepare students for a wide variety of media careers in fields such as radio, television, film, broadcasting, multi-media, advertising, strategic communication or further studies at the graduate level. Media Studies seeks to prepare students to be thoughtful contributors in an increasingly mediated world. It also seeks to train students to become potential contributors in the expanding and changing media marketplace.
PhD Media Studies Program:
- The PhD Program will provide with comprehensive understanding of quality research skills to investigate mass communication phenomena independently.
- The program will produce critically knowledgeable and motivated people to the media industry and related organizations in private/public sectors.
- To train high level researchers who are fully competent for pursuing independent research in the field of communication.
MS Media Studies:
- To provide students with an advanced knowledge of critical awareness of concepts and theoretical approaches in the study of mass media.
- Students will understand mass media as a system of interrelated forces, Including historical foundations, technological advances, economic dynamics, regulatory constraints, and ethical concerns.
- Students will be able to grasp the complex relationship between communication/media theories and a diverse set of individual, social, and professional practices.
- Students will understand the underlying philosophical assumptions in the research methodology.
BS TV Broadcasting Program:
- Provide students with critical ability to explain the practical approaches of TV industry
- Provide an understanding of the history, structure and current practices of the television industry, including the primary genres, and the critical skills to present analysis and evaluation in written and spoken forms.
- Enable students to explore and reflect on the practical implications of working in television broadcasting
- Inculcate an understanding of appropriate methodologies for research in television studies.
BS Media Studies program:
- Teaches you about the history, theory, and practice of all forms of media
- Combines practice with theory
- Provides a global perspective
- Includes an interdisciplinary curriculum
- Offers a design-your-own capstone project
- Enables you to combine your interest in media with your desire to make a difference in the world
- Pairs your classroom education with opportunities within our internship program and on-campus events and organizations
- Gives you the critical thinking skills, background in film and media, and extensive writing experience you need to pursue graduate studies and career opportunities in film, television, advertising, public relations, journalism, digital media, and a range of other fields