Prof. Dr. Shehzad Khalid
Professor/ Director PGP
Computer Engineering Department
|Education||PHD (University of Manchester, UK)|
|Specialization||Image Processing, Computer Vision, Biometrics, Medical Imaging, Machine learning, Signal Processing, Urdu OCRs, Natural Language Processing, Dimensionality Reduction, Time Series Analysis, English and Urdu OCRs,Natural Language Processing|
- Shape analysis and recognition
- Motion based data mining and behavior recognition
- Medical Image Analysis
- ECG analysis for disease detection
- Biometrics using fingerprints, vessels patterns of hands/retina of eyes, ECG etc.
- Urdu stemmer development
- Short and Long multi-lingual text mining
- Urdu OCR
Funded Research Project
Network enabled retinal image analysis and screening system for grading and diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy
ICTRND funded project which is a telemedicine system for tele-screening of DR with capabilities of self diagnosis, real time access to data from rural areas, assignment of ophthalmologist for expert opinion and management of a national database for regular monitoring. Responsible for the development of machine learning module of the system and was the team lead of development team. The project is implemented and operational in AFIO, Rawalpindi.
- Sohail Safdar, Effective representation and intelligent execution of workflows, 2009
- Muazzam Gill, Achieving data cleaning through conditional functional dependencies and numerical functional dependencies, 2010.
- Suleman Amjad, Fingerprint image enhancement for purpose of minutiae detection, 2011.
- Aafia Kamal, Brand logo recognition based on augmented SURF algorithm, 2011.
- Zia ur Rehman Hashmi, STANCH: A refinement of SCRUM for requirement engineering, 2011.
- Junaid Tariq, Affine invariant approach for 2D shape matching, 2011.
- Sadaf Mukhtar, Piecewise approach for efficient shape matching robust to occlusion, 2012.
- Sannia Arshad, A genetic algorithm based weight learning method for improving classification accuracies, 2012.
- Faisal Imran, Content-based image classification using weighted image descriptors, 2012.
- Uzma Naqvi, Framework for writer-identification through hand-written documents, 2013.
- Mubasshar Ali, A rule based stemming method for Urdu language, 2014.
- Mazhar Iqbal Rana, Framework for classifying news based on their headlines using probabilistic learning approach, 2014
- Kashif Ahmed, Classification of Urdu News Based on Their Headlines, 2015.
- Muhammad Nazakat, Offline Handwritten Signature Verification, 2015
- Jawad-ur-Rehman Chughtai, Online Signature Verification, 2015
- Ayesha Rafiq, Offline OCR for Urdu Script, 2015
- Kashif Saleem, Skin lesion segmentation on dermoscopic images, 2015
- Usman Akram, Retinal Image Analysis and Hybrid Classification for Screening of Diabetic Retinopathy, (Co-Supervision), Completed in 2012.
- Uzma Jamil, Melanoma vs. nevus lesion classification using dermoscopic images, In Progress.
- Waqas Ahmed, ECG signal analysis for human identification and disease detection, In Progress
- Anwar Shaukat, Segmentation and Tracking of Lung Nodules in CT scan Data., In Progress
- Muhammad Taimoor Khan, Automatic Aspect Extraction using Big Data. In Progress.
- Mehr Yahya Durrani, Human Identification and Forgery Detection using Online Signature Information, In Progress.
- Adeel M. Syed, Analysis of OCT and Fundus Images for detection of Macular Edema, In Progress.
Bahria Instititute of Management and Computer Sciences, Bahria University, Islamabad.
Taught Object Oriented Programming and Java as a lecturer in 2002.
University of Manchester, UK. (2003-2005)
Worked as Demonstrator giving occasional lectures and managing assignments/test for Java and Computer Graphic undergraduate courses, from September 2003 to May 2005.
Bahria University, Islamabad. (August 2007-Present)
Professor, Head of Department (Computer Engineering)
Head of Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Research Center
- Computing Fundamentals, Computer Programming, Data Structures, Object Oriented Programming, Artificial Intelligence
- Data Warehousing and Mining, Object Oriented Analysis and Design, Research Methodology
- Artificial Intelligence, Neural Networks, Research Methodology
- Shehzad Khalid, “Motion Data Mining and Activity Recognition”, VDM Verlag, 2009, ISBN 978-3-639-21045-3.
- Shehzad Khalid, “Behavior recognition using any feature space representation of motion trajectories”, In book “Video Surveillance”, Intech, 2011, ISBN 978-953-307-958-5.
- Usman Akram, Shehzad Khalid, “A software system for grading diabetic retinopathy by analyzing retinal images”, In book “Knowledge based processes in software development”, IGI Global, 2012.
- Anwar Shaukat, Imran Farid, Shehzad Khalid, Amina Jamil, Detection of Lung Nodules in CT Scan Data- A Review, in book “Ensuring Patient Safety and Confidentiality through Secure Health Information Management”, 2015.
- Uzma Jamil, Shehzad Khalid, Analysis of Valuable Techniques & Algorithms Used in Automated Skin Lesion Recognition Systems, in book “Ensuring Patient Safety and Confidentiality through Secure Health Information Management”, 2015.
- Shehzad Khalid and Andrew Naftel, “Classifying spatiotemporal object trajectories using unsupervised learning in the coefficient feature space”, ACM Multimedia Systems Special Issue: Multimedia video surveillance, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 227-238, December 2006. [IF-0.44]
- Shehzad Khalid and Andrew Naftel, “Automatic motion learning in the presence of anomalies using coefficient feature space representation of trajectories”, Acta Automatica Sinica, Vol. 36, No 5, January, 2010. [International Journal]
- Shehzad Khalid and Andrew Naftel, “Self-Tuned Unsupervised Learning of Motion Trajectories”, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 27-36, August 2009. [HEC Recognized Journal]
- Shehzad Khalid, “Motion based behaviour learning, profiling and classification in the presence on anomalies”, Pattern Recognition, 43, No. 1, pp. 173-186, 2010. [IF- 2.584]
- Shehzad Khalid, “Activity classification and anomaly detection using m-Mediods based modeling of motion patterns”, Pattern Recognition, 43, No. 10, pp. 3636-3647, 2010. [IF- 2.584]
- Khalid, S.Razzaq, “Frameworks for multivariate m-mediods based modeling and classification in Euclidean and general feature spaces, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 1092-1103, March 2012. [IF- 2.584]
- Shehzad Khalid,“Incremental indexing and retrieval mechanism for scalable and robust contour-based shape matching”, Multimedia Systems, Vol. 18, Issue 4, pp. 319-336, July 2012. [IF-0.60]
- Usman Akram, Shehzad Khalid, “Identification and Classification of Microaneurysms for Early Detection of Diabetic Retinopathy”, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 46, Issue 1, pp. 107-116, Jan 2013. [IF- 2.584]
- Sohail Jabbar, Abid Ali Minhas, Imran Shafi, Shehzad Khalid and Rabia Iram, “Intelligent Optimization of Wireless Sensor Network through Bio-Inspired Computing: Survey and Future Directions”, International Journal of Distributed Sensor Network, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/421084, 2013. [IF- 0.923]
- Usman Akram, Shehzad Khalid, Anam Tariq, M. Younus Javed, Detection of neovascularization in retinal images using multivariate m-Mediods based classifier, Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, vol. 37, no. 5-6, pp. 346-357, 2013. [IF-1.664]
- Usman Akram, Shehzad Khalid, Anam tariq, Shoab Khan, “Detection and classification of retinal lesions for grading of diabetic retinopathy”, Journal of Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol 45, pp. 161-171, 2014. [IF- 1.162]
- Mehr Yahya, Taimoor Khan, Armughan Ali, Ali Mustafa, Shehzad Khalid, “Machine learning, a solution for intrusion detection”, Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, vol. 4, 2014. [ISI indexed].
- Shehzad Khalid, Sannia Arshad, Sohail Jabbar, Seungmin Rho, “Robust Framework to Combine Diverse Classifiers Assigning Distributed Confidence to Individual Classifiers at Class Level”, Scientific World Journal, 2014. [IF- 1.219]
- Mubashir Ali, Shehzad Khalid, M. Haneef Saleemi,A novel stemming approach for Urdu language,Journal of Applied Environmental and Biological Sciences, vol. 1(7), 2014 [ISI Indexed]
- Muhammad Nazakat, Shehzad Khalid, Imran Siddiqi, A Review of offline signature verification techniques, Journal of Applied Environmental and Biological Sciences, vol. 1(9), pp. 342-347, 2014 [ISI Indexed]
- Jawad-ur-Rehman Chughtai, Shehzad Khalid, Imran Siddiqi, Online signature verification : A review, Journal of Applied Environmental and Biological Sciences, vol. 1(9), pp. 303-308, 2014 [ISI Indexed]
- Sannia Arshad, Shehzad Khalid, “A hybrid approach to combine heterogeneous classifiers using weight learning robust to the presence of class label noise and imbalanced classes”, Bahria University Journal of Information & Communication Technology, 2014. [HEC Recognized]
- Shahid Razzaq, Shehzad Khalid, “Determination of System Dimensionality from Observing Near-Normal Distributions”, Journal of Abstract and Applied Analysis, 2015. [IF- 1.274]
- Sohail Jabbar, Abid Ali Minhas, Muhammad Imran, Shehzad Khalid, Energy Efficient Strategy for throughput Improvement in Wireless Ad
Hoc Sensor Networks, Journal of Sensors, vol. 15(2), pp. 2473-2495, 2015. [IF- 2.048]
- Shehzad Khalid, Usman Akram, Shahid Razzaq, “Behaviour recognition using multivariate m-mediod based modelling of motion trajectories”, Multimedia Systems, vol. 21(5), pp. 485-505, [IF-0.44]
- Shahid Razzaq, Shehzad Khalid, “TOBAE: A density-based agglomerative clustering algorithm”, Journal of Classification, 10.1007/s00357-015-9166-2, 2015. [IF-0.571]
- Sohail Jabbar, Rabia Iram, Abid Ali Minhas, Chaudhary Muhammad Imran, Shehzad Khalid “EASARA: Energy Aware Simple Ant Routing Algorithm in Wireless Sensor Network”, Recent Advancements in Soft Computing and its Application, The Scientific World Journal, [IF- 1.219]
- Saima Shaheen, M. Younus Javed, Muid Mufti, Shehzad Khalid, Aasia Khannum, Shoab Khan and M. Usman Akram, A Novel Compression Technique For Multi-Camera Nodes Through Directional Correlation, International Journal of Dsitributed Sensor Network, vol. 2015, Article ID 539838, 2015. doi:10.1155/2015/539838. [IF- 0.923]
- Amna Waheed, M. Usman Akram, Shehzad Khalid, Zahra Waheed, Muazzam A. Khan, Arsalan Shaukat, Hybrid Features and Mediods Classification based Robust Segmentation of Blood Vessels, Journal of Medical Systems, 2015. [IF- 2.213]
- R. Malik, T. Ahmad, M. Farhan, M. Aslam, S. Jabbar, S. Khalid, M. Kim, Big-Data: transformation from heterogeneous data to semantically enriched simplified data, Multimedia Tools and Applications, pp 1-21, 2015. [IF- 1.346]
- Usman Akram, Anam Tariq, Shehzad Khalid, Ubaid ullah Yasin, M. Younis Javed, Glaucoma detection using novel optic disk localization, hybrid feature set and classification techniques, Australasian physical and engineering sciences in Medicine, 2015. [IF- 0.882]
- Shehzad Khalid, Sadaf Mukhtar, Sohail Jabbar, Seungmin Rho, “Accurate and efficient shape matching approach using vocabularies of multi-feature space representations”, Journal of Real Time Image Processing, 2015. [IF- 2.020]
- Shehzad Khalid, Sadaf Mukhtar, “A hybrid shape matching framework for efficient and effective shape matching”, submitted to Journal of Image and Video Processing, 2014.
- Taimoor Khan, Shehzad Khalid, Mehr Durrani, Armughan Ali, Irum Inayat, “Survey of sentiment analysis techniques and the related NLP challenges”, submitted to Journal of Computing, Springer, 2014. [IF- 1.055]
- Taimoor Khan, Mehr Yahya, Usman Nazir, Shehzad Khalid, Kamran Habib Khan, “Survey of topic modeling techniques for aspect-based sentiment analysis”, submitted to BUJICT, 2014. [HEC Recognized]
- Andrew Naftel and Shehzad Khalid, “Video Sequence Indexing Through Recovery of Object Based Motion Trajectories”, Irish Machine Vision and Image Processing Conference, 232-239, Trinity College, Dublin, Sep 1-3, 2004.
- Naftel and S. Khalid, “Indexing and Retrieval of Video Clips via Object Motion Trajectory Descriptors”, Visualization, Imaging and Image Processing, 452-141, Sep 6-8, 2004, Marbella, Spain.
- Khalid and A. Naftel, “Evaluation of Matching Metrics for Trajectories-based Indexing and Retrieval of Video Clips”, IEEE workshop on Applications of Computer Vision, Jan 5-7 2005, Colorado, U.S.A.
- Shehzad Khalid and Andrew Naftel, “Motion Trajectory Clustering for Video Retrieval Using Spatiotemporal Approximation”, 8th International Conference on Visual Surveillance Systems, July 4, 2005, Amsterdam, Holland.
- Shehzad Khalid and Andrew Naftel, “Motion Clustering Using Spatiotemporal Approximation” IASTED international conference on Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications, August 15-17,2005, Honololu, Hawaii,S.A.
- Andrew Naftel and Shehzad Khalid, “Classification and Prediction of Motion Trajectories Using Spatiotemporal Approximation”, BMVC workshop on Human Activity Recognition and Modelling, 9th Sep, 2005, Oxford, U.K.
- Shehzad Khalid and Andrew Naftel, “Classifying Spatiotemporal Object Trajectories using Unsupervised Learning of Basis Function Coefficients”, 3rd ACM International Workshop on Video Surveillance and Sensor Networks, Nov. 11-12, 2005, Singapore.
- Shehzad Khalid and Andrew Naftel, “Detecting Anomalous Motion Trajectories in the Coefficient Space”, IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Systems, Jan 5-7, 2006, New York, S.A.
- Shahid Razzaq, Shehzad Khalid, “Image Matching using Feature Set Transformations”, in IEEE ICET, pp. 218-223, September 2011.
- Shehzad Khalid, “Robust shape matching using global feature space representation of contours”, in ICNC’12-MCC, pp. 724 – 728, Maui, Hawaii, USA, Feb.,
- Shehzad Khalid, Sadaf Mukhtar, “An approach to improve efficiency and accuracy of sophisticated and intelligent shape matching techniques”, IEEE 4th International Conference on Simulation, Modeling and Simulation, Bangkok, Thailand, 29-31 January, 2013.
- Shehzad Khalid, Sannia Arshad, “Framework for constructing hybrid classifier using weight learning to combine heterogeneous classifiers.” IEEE 5th International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Communication System and Networks. Seoul, South Korea, 24-26 September, 2013.
- Shehzad Khalid, Sannia Arshad, “A Robust Ensemble based Approach to Combine Heterogeneous Classifiers in the Presence of Class Label Noise”, IEEE 5th International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Communication System and Networks. Seoul, South Korea, 24-26 September, 2013.
- Anwar Shaukat, Shehzad Khalid, “A survey of e-learning techniques and the role of agent based assistance”, IEEE 5th International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Communication System and Networks. Seoul, South Korea, 24-26 September, 2013.
- Sadaf Sajjad, Shehzad Khalid, “Preprocessing Approach Identifying and Removing Noise”, 16th IEEE International Conference of Modelling and Simulation, Cambridge University, 26-28 March, 2014.
- Mubashir Ali, Shehzad Khalid, Muhammad Haneef Saleemi, in 2nd international conference on Computational and Social Sciences, Turkey, August 26-28, 2014.
- Mazhar Iqbal, Shehzad Khalid, Usman Akbar, News Classification Based On Their Headlines: A Review, 17th IEEE INMIC 2014 Conference, Bahria University, Karachi, Pakistan.
- Uzma Jamil, Shehzad Khalid, Comparative Study of Classification Techniques Used in Skin Lesion Detection Systems, 17th IEEE INMIC 2014 Conference, Bahria University, Karachi, Pakistan.
- Khurram Mustafa Abbassi, Irfan ul Haq, Ahmed Kamran Malik, Shehzad Khalid, Saba Fazil, Hanif Durad, On Access Control for Cloud Service Chains, 17th IEEE INMIC 2014 Conference, Bahria University, Karachi, Pakistan.
- M. Usman Hashmi, Ammar Ajmal, Arsalan Akhter, Shehzad Khalid, Waleed Manzoor, Application layer time synchronization utilizing symbol time recovery in wireless sensor networks, 17th IEEE USKIM-AMSS, Cambridge, U.K, 25-27 March, 2015.
- Uzma Jamil, Shehzad Khalid, Valuable pre-processing and segmentation techniques used in automated skin lesion detection systems, 17th IEEE USKIM-AMSS, Cambridge, U.K, 25-27 March, 2015.
- Shehzad Khalid, Uzma Naqvi, Imran Siddiqi, Framework for human identification through offline handwritten documents, 2nd IEEE International conference on computer, communication, and control technology, Kuching, Malaysia, 21-23 April, 2015.
- Israr Uddin Khattak, Imran Siddiqi, Shehzad Khalid and Chawki Djeddi, Recognition of Urdu ligatures: A Holistic Approach, 13th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, Gammarth, Tunisia, 23-26 August, 2015.
- Jawad chughtai, Mehr Yahya, Shehzad Khalid, ONLINE SIGNATURE VERIFICATION USING CHEBYSHEV POLYNOMIALS, In 3rd International Conference on Computational and Social Siences, August 25-27, Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
- Israr-ud-din, Imran Siddiqi, Shehzad Khalid, LINE AND LIGATURE SEGMENTATION IN PRINTED URDU DOCUMENT IMAGES, In 3rd International Conference on Computational and Social Siences, August 25-27, Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
- Uzma Naqvi, Shehzad Khalid, Imran Siddiqi, Review of Offline Text Independent Writer Identification Techniques, In 3rd International Conference on Computational and Social Siences, August 25-27, Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
- Mazhar, Shehzad, Fizza, Armughan, Mehr, Farhan, NEWS HEADLINES CLASSIFICATION USING PROBABILISTIC APPROACH, In 3rd International Conference on Computational and Social Siences, August 25-27, Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
AQuad Consultings: (2000-2002)
Worked in aQuad consultings, worked on JAVA, JSPs, EJBs and web development from August 15th, 2000 to June 20th, 2002.
National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) (2005-2007)
Worked as senior software engineer.
HORNET, University of Manchester (2004-2006)
Worked as HORNET rep with the network administrator in University Hall of Residence.
Biometric Access Control System (BACS)
Designed and developed a biometric based access control system. BACS is a sophisticated combination of card swipe, fingerprint and facial matching.
Vehicle Identification and Tracking System (VITS)
Developed a state-of-the-art Vehicle Identification and Tracking System based on leading RFID technology. VITS help control vehicle related crimes including car thefts, through centrally controlled tracker chip, fixed on each vehicle, known as Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
Vehicle Access Control System (VACS)
Developed VACS for access control of vehicles to different premises with restricted access. The system is implemented using leading RFID technology, loops for motion detection and digital cameras. The system is centralized for controlling access to different premises using single tracker chip.
Human Motion Data Mining
Research on techniques for automating of surveillance systems. Developed a tracking system to track multiple objects in a single camera environment. Indexing and querying system is developed for indexing motion data and query based retrieval of motion clips based on indexed information. Methodology for classification and prediction of motion trajectories using spatiotemporal approximation is proposed and tested. Event detection based on motion behavior of objects in video is also studied.
Worked on a project developed for efficient handling of resources of different companies that are registered to the site. Etilize can handle transactions like buy, sell, temporary and permanent swaps of goods. It also have the capability to efficiently handle the liquid resources of companies. It works for R-R, M-M, B-B and B-C models. You can visit the site at http://www.r2rcentral.com.
Working on a project SCX (Sales Collaborate Xchange) which is a B2B n tier project. Using the site, users can browse through different products and can add them into their shopping cart for which they can then order to buy. The order is then submitted to appropriate vendors and the users are then provided with the order tracking facilities till the order is delivered to them.
Human Motion Capture and 3D rendering of the Human model
A software based motion caption and rendering in the OpenGL environment used in entertainment, ads, games and movie.